Whitehorse – The Liberal Party will make major new investments to give veterans the future we owe them, said Larry Bagnell, Liberal candidate for Yukon.
“Our brave women and men in uniform put their lives on the line for our country at a high personal cost,” said Bagnell. “Throughout my conversations with Yukon’s veterans, it’s clear that our servicemen need improved programs and services. We have a social covenant with Canadian veterans and their families – an obligation that absolutely must be met with the utmost respect and gratitude.”
A Liberal government will:
- re-establish lifelong pensions for our injured veterans, and increase the value of the disability award;
- invest $25 million to expand access to the Permanent Impairment Allowance;
- invest $40 million to increase the Earnings Loss Benefit to 90 percent of pre-release salary;
- invest $80 million per year to create a new Veterans Education Benefit that provides full support for the cost of up to four years of college, university, or technical education;
- invest $100 million per year to expand support for families of veterans;
- increase the veteran survivor’s pension amount from 50 percent to 70 percent;
- double funding to the Last Post Fund to ensure that veterans receive a dignified burial;
- re-open the nine Veterans Affairs service offices closed by the Harper Conservatives;
- fully implement all of the Auditor General’s recommendations on enhancing mental health service delivery to veterans;
- hire 400 new service delivery staff, including new case managers at Veterans Affairs; and
- budget $20 million to create two new centres of excellence in veterans’ care.
“Canadians rightly expect that our sacred obligation to our veterans will be honoured,” continued Bagnell. “Veterans want to be able to speak to real people, not have to get lost in the government’s tele-health service; our plan will see the ratio of veterans to support staff cut almost in half. These commitments will help provide the support our veterans need and deserve.”
Backgrounder – Real Change: The future we owe our veterans