Whitehorse – A Liberal government will help Canadian seniors get the secure and dignified retirement they deserve, said Larry Bagnell, Liberal candidate for Yukon.
“With record levels of household debt and an economy in recession, it is no wonder why Yukoners are worried about their retirement,” said Bagnell. “Right now, on average, a retired person receives just $618 per month from the Canada Pension Plan – hardly enough to live on. Our seniors have worked their entire lives, and should not have to struggle to make ends meet. We have a plan to support Canadian seniors through retirement.”
As part of the Liberal Party’s three-point plan to create jobs, grow the middle class, and help those working hard to join the middle class, aLiberal government will work with the territories and provinces to significantly reform our retirement security system by:
- Restoring the eligibility age for Old Age Security and the Guaranteed Income Supplement to 65;
- Lifting hundreds of thousands of seniors out of poverty by immediately boosting the Guaranteed Income Supplement for single low-income seniors by ten percent;
- Introducing a new Seniors Price Index – in recognition of the fact that many seniors live on fixed incomes – to make sure that Old Age Security and the Guaranteed Income Supplement keep up with rising costs;
- Beginning discussions with the territories and provinces, workers, employers and others on how to enhance the Canada Pension Plan within our first three months in government;
- Maintaining pension income splitting for seniors;
- Introducing a more flexible and accessible Employment Insurance Compassionate Care Benefit; and
- Prioritizing significant new investment in affordable housing and seniors’ facilities, as part of a Liberal government’s commitment to a new, ten-year investment of nearly $20 billion in social infrastructure.
“Yukoners work hard all their lives and deserve a comfortable retirement,” said Bagnell. “The Liberal Party has a plan to support Canadians as they head into retirement, and to help seniors already collecting CPP have a more dignified retirement.”